We may have heard “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” either from our moms, doctors, or television shows that we watch. Aside from the fact that it rhymes and is fun to say, does it really make any sense?
Apple, a fruit belonging to rose family, is one of the healthiest fruits there are which carries a lot of health benefits. It keeps one’s body disease-free. Since it is filled with soluble fiber, it reduces the risks of having intestine-related diseases. Also, it believed that it lessens the possibility of having a cancer by as much as half. Studies have also shown that those who eat an apple a day has lower risk of stroke, improved brain functioning, reduced possibility of having diabetes and dementia. Listed below are facts you may have not heard about apple before.
1. Apple has the ability to float in water because 25% of its volume is made up of air.
2. There are 7500 varieties of apple in the world and if you would ever want to try them all, it would take you approximately 20 years in totality.
3. Malusdomesticaphobia is the fear of eating apples. ‘Malus’ and ‘domestica’ are scientific terms for orchard apple tree.
4. Apple seeds are poisonous as it contains a poison called “Cyanide”. However, there won’t be any effect unless you eat 200 seeds or 10 apple cores.
5. A natural wax is applied to apples not only to make them appear shiny but to also to remove bacteria and to slow its ripening
6. Apple contains huge amount of boron which increase mental alertness
7. It takes 36 apples to make a gallon of cider
8. It is believed that apple originated between Black Sea and Caspian Sea
9. The crabapple is the only apple native to U.S.
10. Apples are very popular in mythologies. It was present in the bible, Norse mythology, and Greek Mythology.
So to keep doctors away, eat apples everyday!
#VGBIO1 #BIOLOGYisLOVE #APC2017
Shots by: Kyle Alexandria Mirano